Here are some easy-to-digest statistics about mental illness:
- Approximately 20.9 million American adults or about 9.5 percent of the U.S. population age 18 and up in a given year have a mood disorder2.
- An estimated 26.2 percent of American adults, or about one in four, suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year2.
- About 6 percent, or 1 in 17 American adults suffer from a serious mental illness2.
- Each year suicide claims about 30,000 lives in America, making it responsible for just over 1 percent of deaths in the U.S1.
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death among youth aged 15 to 241.
- Over 90% of people who commit suicide have been diagnosed with mental illness1.
- People with mental illness are 11 times more likely to be victims of a violent crime than those without2.
- People with severe mental illnesses, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or psychosis, are 2.5 times more likely to be attacked, raped, or mugged than the general population2.
- People with mental illness commit an estimated 5-10% of all murders in America each year. Mentally “normal” citizens do the other 90-95%3.
- 1.1% of the global population over age 18 have schizophrenia.5
- 1.5 million people will be diagnosed as schizophrenic this year, worldwide. About 100,000 of those will be in the U.S.5
- Of the schizophrenic, approximately: 6% are homeless, 6% live in jails or prisons, 6% live in hospitals, 10% live in nursing homes, 25% live with family, 28% live independently, and 20% live in supervised housing.5
- People with schizophrenia have a 50 times higher risk of attempting suicide.5
- Studies report that approximately half of all individuals with severe mental illnesses have received no treatment for their illnesses in the previous 12 months.5
- Bipolar disorder affects approximately 5.7 million adult Americans, or aobut 2.6% of the U.S. population 18 and over.6
- Bipolar disorder results in 9.2 years reduction in expected lifespan. As many as one in five bipolar patients completes suicide.6
- 6.7% of the U.S. adult population is affected by major depressive disorder7
- Women are 70% more likely to experience depression than men7